In alkaline process waters CO2 can be used instead of sodium carbonate for the precipitation of calcium. Added CO2 reacts with alkaline water to form carbonate ions and becomes available for precipitation.
Advantages of CO2 in comparison to sodium carbonate:
- reduced demand of other chemicals
- the addition of gaseous CO2 is significantly easier and compacter as the addition of solid sodium carbonate
- No handling of dust-producing chemicals
- Simple storage and safe handling of CO2
- CO2 is a pure gas which does not introduce any other impurities
- Low investment and operating costs
Messer prepares a full process proposal and calculates your CO2 demand. The Neutra Process from Messer enables rapid and complete dissolution of CO2 in water using the technology which is most suitable for site conditions. Our wide Neutra-Portfolio ranges from injection lances with nozzles for gaseous or liquid CO2 to pipe reactors and the Neutrabox-Technology for the injection of liquid CO2. Messer has realised this application for e. g. brine-purification and fore wet-scrubber-process water treatment.